Kathy Cowbrough, Freelance Dietitian
Canadian Kathy has lived and worked in Canada, Zambia, Botswana, Scotland and England. The opportunity to teach home economics in Botswana and Zambia for 5 years inspired her to earn a Masters in Public Health Nutrition to focus more on prevention, and to highlight the importance of supporting Fairtrade which helps small businesses to get a fairer price for their produce.
In the UK her work has been in:
- Health Promotion in Glasgow and Edinburgh with opportunities to support projects to prevent Food Poverty and look at ways out of this situation.
- Sure Start Children’s centres in Mansfield and Langold, supporting parents and children to enjoy and realise the importance of healthy food choices and keeping active.
- Freelance Nutrition work:
- with local projects focusing on preventing Food Poverty
- with PR companies to raise the profile of nutrition
- speaking at national conferences
- writing for professional and family magazines
- World Heart Federation projects.
Highlighting the importance of supporting Fairtrade is a passion for Kathy and she helped Bassetlaw establish a Fairtrade group.
Retford Business Forum has been an ideal way to promote Fairtrade and also to learn of interesting local businesses.
Kathy is a Bassetlaw Food Bank trustee, thus realising the important role food banks play but considering better long term support for families and individuals.
Kathy is also a keen volunteer and her activities include:
- Retford Hub - which offers Visitor Information and a shop front for many local artists and artisans.
- helping at Larwood and Retford Vaccination centres during Covid19.
In her spare time Kathy enjoys cycling, local daily walks, Pilates classes, Morris Dancing and community singing.